Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sleepless

I get a little cranky when I don’t get enough sleep. I am very cranky today. For the last several days there has been an evangelical meeting/ concert/ lecture series happening in the park down from the guest house. As I was sitting around last night reading, it was remarkable that I could actually hear the preacher talking on the loudspeaker from so far away. At first it was interesting, hearing the praise songs and the rhythmic rise and fall of the preacher’s voice. Unfortunately, it went on and on. Eventually the one preacher must have tired, since they brought another out to substitute. They would alternate between singing, preaching and at times rhythmically chanting-- I swear at one time he was just yelling monosyllabically at the crowd and they repeatedly called back and forth. This went on until 6:00 this morning….

Must not be neighborhood ordinances here, since I am sure I’m not the only one that was kept awake. For whatever reason they finally quieted down for a break around the time the Muslim call to prayer was announced at 6:00. I only thought about using my earplugs at 6:00 and while it didn’t eliminate the racket, it did lessen the intensity. I assume they stopped soon after 6, but was too tired to notice and slept until about 8:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment